tears of a soldier(military story) a story by great brain

Tears of a soldier ,episode 1


It was the last day in the blood thirsty academy.
Yea, our passing out parade, presidential
commissioning and pipping.
Five good years we've been here serving job,
buying job, crossing obstacle, learning to shoot
and above all learning to be gentlemen. Sorry I
mean real men.
Anyway its the final day 5 bars finally turning to
one star and like the proverb do say, a star on
the shoulder is better than millions in the sky.
More than 400 cadets started the journey 5 years
ago now just 222 of us are passing out. Many
have got wasted, many hv dashed (I guess they
are not man enough), many hv been relegated
and many hv been withdrawn. Still, we pulled
thru.
We saw our parents smiling with head gears of
different shape, we saw friends @ family happy
and glad with many souvenirs in our name.
Finally the D-day z here the dream of every
cadet in the prestigious academy.
Anyway that passed on and we found our
formations. Now let me take u a little closer to
the academy and the people who joins it.
Basically, to my judgement there are four
categories of people who joined the academy
1. The ones who sees the money: maybe their
parents, relative or friends are in the military, this
particular pple join bcoz of d uniform, money and
majorly they see it as an easy way to overcome
the current economy dillema facing the country.
2. The avengers: dz set join the academy coz
they see the military as an avenue to deal with
perceived enemies and to make ends meet with
people who have wronged them in the past. U no
wah I mean so no need to elaborate. Dz
particular set are always active during plumming.
Buh are always complaining during parade or fire
alarm
3. The legal killers: dz ones am sure are
possesed they see military as the only legal way
to kill. They've forgotten even laws guide us.
They don't do well in marksmanship or during PT
but trust me as officers or personnel they are
the first to open fire on civillians if a little
disaggrement evolve
4.The perfect ones: every cadet claim to be in dz
category, even me. We tell u we love the job our
best saying z even if the military stops paying
salary, some of us will still join. Anyway dz z
quiet true. Many of us hv made sacrifice I mean
great sacrifice to join. Back to the story dz just
a mere divert.
For any reason we join, we are atlast officers.
We were so glad all smiling and jumping dia were
lots and lots of party in honour of us. We were
on top of the world. Yet we never knew nature
had a different plan ahead for us. A plan we
could not dodge, afterall its our job we took the
oath we signed for it.As a second lieutinant I was posted to a place
very far from my home state, a place none of my
families knew z on the map. And as a young
officer, I gird my loins, grapped my gears and got
ready for anything that might come may.
I thought it would be kinda tough adapting but to
my greatest surprise, it was way easy than my
expectation. Things went so well and after few
weeks of our POP th dangerous old ones among
us started getting married. Among them was my
bossom friend we were in the same battalion as
clowns and we were like brothers even though I
was a cadet seargeant and he had no
appointment. Anyway, 2Lt Balogun got married
and 2 weeks after 2lt Lawal, Uwezukwe,
Oladosun and many others traded sex for
marriage. I was among the sword party and that
gave me oppourtunity to meet the military
obssessed ladies. Not that I dnt have gfs I can
promote to wife, but due to past experience and
my parents marriage which never worked hmmm
the sound of marriage brings phobia to me and I
tell the ones doing it to accept my condolence.

Exactly five months after our Pop the insurgency
in a certain part of the countrt got to the climax
and many a officers and soldiers were posted to
the land of boruno. Oh boruno, the blood thirsty
land. The home where heroes were swallowed.
The greatest nightmare of any soldier. Anyway,
to cut the long epistle short, I was among
(should I say the unfortunate) officers or lemme
say soldiers who were dispatched to the blood
thirsty land. Alongside my coursemate that had
same fate like me were 2Lt(s) Olumide,
Uwezukwe, Audu, balogin and many more.
We all met in the capital of boruno where we
were all dispatched to diff town with the
inhabitants of dz town mostly terrorist with little
or no Friendly. Anyway, I was dispatched to a
town of 32 heactares of land filled with pple and
about 800 hectares of land lemme say majorly
forest filled with insurgents. I know it was a
death trap, and I know the inevitable might occur
more early than I envisageg. Anyway, be it what
come may I was ready to killand die for one
thing we believe in most HONOUR and VALOUR.
I kissed my mum amidst her tears and I
promised her I would return, but the state I
would, I don't know maybe dead.
I journeyed to my place of operation with no fear
of the future, because of we had to fight for is
the very minute. I got to my little detachment
and I found I had only 2 superiors an elderly
major and a very vibrant captain. A lot of
responsibility lies on my shoulder and I stacked
out on order from my superior. I spoke with most
of the personnels present and a very young and
intelligent 18 years old private caught my
attention. Deep inside I said a prayer for him that
he won't hesitate in the moment of truth so he
won't become dead. All been said and done I
briefed them on our mission and made them
realise how we need to be in one accord FIGHT
OR DIE I hammered at them. I told them we
can't all go home alive, many will get wasted but
one thing is sure, our legacy lives on. And I
reminded them of the greatest script of valour (a
soldier doesn't fight bacause he hates what's in
front, a soldier fight coz he loves what he left
behind)
We got armed trying to navigate our route in the
thick forest and maybe get a clue about our
enemies. We never knew that day had a bitter
plan in stock for us

I went out with 40men we had barely walked for
20mins when grenade were thrown at us and
another IED explode. We took cover and engaged
our enemy in a repel attack. At that minute, my
life flashed back to me. I am 24years old, hv
never seen a real war.
Before we could open fire, the deed was already
done. 5 men were already in pieces with
scattered body parts, 6 were casualties
struggling in between life and death. The
corpsmen were attending 2 d injured while we
the rest engaged them in a fire fight.
Oh the sounds of live rounds, oh the very sound
of agony. All dz were songs to our ear, we had
no choice we had to kill or die. We repelled their
fire out of anger, we broke skulls with bullets and
they broke ours too. After a 20mins that sounds
like forever, of very heavy gun fire, the terrorrist
were retreating and scappered for safety, we
tried chasing after them but we couldn't because
most of dz guys are very experienced they hv
been fighting since we were 9 or 10. They are
experience, they are hard, they will stop at
nothing; it might even be one of their strategy
and above all the reason, we were never
prepared for dz. We never knew theur could be
an early attack at that time.
Anyway, we've learned our lessons but in a very
bitter way.
Now back to the casualties. The tottal number of
dead was 15 and injured 5 on our side. Although,
the figure wasmuch bigger on our enemies part.
Death record was 46 but before we could get to
the injured and do justice to the little breath in
them, they hv either been killed by their own
men or dragged away D reason was not clear to
us. Anyway, I cried all the tears in my eyes that
day when I reached the barracks not because my
soldiers die but also because I knew what war
really meant. I knew the weight of my job and
that day had an impact in my life. Even till dz
moment I haven't recovered from it.
Secondly, it was my first day out and I loosed 15
gallant men and I did not even die or got shot. It
was something I could never forgive myself for.
Anyway, we boxed up the dead (the little ones
we could merge there body together) and sent it
in a truck home for there last respect and rounds
of gun fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of a rugged chaizman by nicheey.

Pooley girl (+18) ,a story by Linda

my nysc service, a story by mable